Anti-Terrorism Officers (ATOs):
All CIS ATO candidates are required to complete a rigorous training and certification process, including:
- FEMA Emergency Response to Terrorism Course
16-hours, independent study - ATOs must complete the FEMA Emergency Response to Terrorism Course with an 80% or better test score.
- ATO Classroom Training
20-hours, administered by the S2 Safety & Intelligence Institute - ATOs must complete the ATO written test with an 80% or better score.
Introduction to Terrorism • Dynamics of Terrorist Attacks • Characteristics of Explosive Devices and Bomb Employment Methods • Characteristics of Chemical and Biological Terrorism • Basic Security Planing • Protective Counterintelligence/OPSEC • Physical Security Analysis • Defense Against Hazardous Mailings • Bomb Threat & Search Procedures • Suspect Vehicle Bomb Response • Post-Blast Response • Response to Overt CB Attacks • Shelter-in-Place and Emergency Decontamination
- ATO Practical Search & Response Training
8-hours, administered by the S2 Safety & Intelligence Institute - ATOs must complete all pass/fail skill evaluations.
Vehicle Entry Point Inspection • TSWG Vehicle Search Methods • Human Access Control Screening • Facility Bomb Search Procedures • Shelter-in-Place
- ATO Standard Operating Procedures Orientation & Rules of Engagement Training
8-hours, administered by CIS instructors - ATOs must complete the ATO SOP test with a score of 80% or better.
In addition to basic ATO certification training, all CIS ATOs are required to complete advanced instruction including:
- Advanced weapon qualification for the AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, 9mm handgun, and 12-gauge shotgun (3-days)
- Close Quarters Battle (CQB) tactics and facility defense training (2-days)
- Hazmat level-III technician training (5-days)
- Site-specific orientation and procedures instruction
All ATOs are required to participate in periodic inservice training including facility response and defense drills and hazmat response exercises. As a requirement to maintain ATO certification, all CIS ATOs are also required to complete 16-hours of professional development training by completion of elective anti-terrorism courses offered through the S2 Safety & Intelligence Institute.